Fire Damage Dos and Don’ts
By Universal Water Restoration
After a fire there are many questions and emotions that follow making it difficult to know what the next step is. You probably have the question: Where do I begin? There are steps to take and Universal Water Restoration has the experience in fire damage to help.
What To Do After a Fire Happens
- Before you decide to re-enter your fire-damaged home make sure to get permission from the fire department first.
- Call Universal Water Restoration at (954)200-0419, available 24/7.
- When you enter your home limit movement to prevent the embedding of soot particles into furniture and carpets.
- Try to retrieve any valuable belongings before you leave your home.
- Empty your refrigerator and freezer and prop the doors open if electricity is off.
- Change your HVAC filter
- Tape two layers of cheesecloth over your air registers
What NOT To Do After a Fire Happens
- Don’t attempt to enter your home until you get permission from the fire department
- Do not use or attempt to clean any gas, water, or electric utilities until an authorized professional deems that it is safe.
- Do not try and wash any soot damage yourself without contacting professionals like Universal Water Restoration.
- Do not eat any packaged or canned food that may have been exposed to fire or smoke.
- Do not send your clothes or linens to an ordinary dry cleaner because this may set the smoke odor.
- Broward County
- Miami-Dade County
- Palm Beach County